Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Use Caution When Crossing

I’ve begun referring to the car as an antiquated mode of transportation, perhaps a way of manifesting the future; however I hesitate to consider my position a readily accepted one. It frightens me how little respect the bicycle receives from other motorists. The hierarchy goes: trucks, cars, motorcycles, mopeds, and lastly bicycles. What’s brought us to this lowly state? Shall we start using discretion when suiting up in spandex, perhaps a t-shirt and shorts could suffice? I purpose our differences unite, but bicycles must start demanding their place on the road.

Last week, while crossing the intersection of Baseline and Broadway (having the right of way), a motorist on their cell phone turned directly in front of my bicycle, colliding with my left leg. Thankfully the driver slowed the impact, but my piston (left leg) certainly endured a scare. I tossed the driver a peace sign, and waved them through the intersection.

Ironically, (and my purpose for the story) a cop watched the entire incident, yet chose not to respond. I clearly possessed the right of way, the driver hit me, and the red and blue sat still. Spin the scenario and place a car, motorcycle, moped, or any other rattle trap you can think of in my position. The cops would have swarmed, backup, drug dogs, the works; so why not for me and my bicycle? I got hit, my bell rung, so where’s the justice system… ah yes, it’s sitting across the street.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Ha ha! The tyranny of the car. Believe it or not, there is little literature on the subject of the deep cultural acceptance of cars as the inherent "right" of the road, even when clearly wrong by their own rules.

Us cyclists, when traveling in an area we are supposedly granted equal-rights to, must exercise far more caution, vigor, defensiveness and effort than our four-wheeled-and-oil-powered counterparts.

It's why I feel completely in the right breaking most traditional traffic laws, especially when breaking them lends to my being MORE seen, MORE noticed by vehicles.