Wednesday, May 19, 2010

6 $ per G

See my inspiration at http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_15105499?IADID=Search-www.dailycamera.com-www.dailycamera.com

As the mess continues to grow in the Gulf, gas prices pose a threat to those held hostage by their cars. What ever will we do if gas prices reach four, five, or even six dollars per gallon? Although British Petroleum and Exxon Mobile harbor notions of alternative energies, these companies may never drift away from oil unless their profits begin to decline. Florida will be a tar pit by the time these greasy characters get their acts together; in the meantime I champion the idea of a boycott.

I perceive the car as a filthy, antiquated mode of transportation. How do we continue to rationalize driving a car when we can pedal for free? Furthermore, we complain about our obese nation, yet drift down the highway at 75 mph while eating a Big Mac. Certain cities and towns remain difficult to navigate via bicycle, yet these excuses can’t be supported in Boulder. If you commit to the bicycle you’ll never look back, except to check out that cute bike that passed you.

Placing myself on a high saddle, I refuse to drive; not because I can’t afford gasoline, but because I won’t consume that nonsense. My bicycle carries me across town faster than any car, and without traffic or stress. I can load groceries in a trailer or backpack, and dismiss anyone who site situations that warrant a car. If every able body were to abandon their cars and adopt the bicycle just imagine the possibilities. Boulder already locates itself as a progressive town; but if we all got on the same page we could radiate a Copenhagen aesthetic.

No comments: