Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Wave

Not too long ago, I was reminded of a particularly special rite of the cycling world: the cyclist-to-cyclist wave. In our fast-paced, frenzied, commercial, high-tech world, sometimes things can seem a little impersonal, a little unfriendly. Once again, cycling comes to our cultural rescue!

I'm sure we've all felt the heartwarming glow that results from the brief interaction that is the cyclist-to-cyclist wave: two cyclists pedal down their respective bike lanes heading in opposite directions, brief eye contact is made, the distance separating the two is bridged with a quick smile of recognition, a friendly wave, and the two have passed each other by, each going their separate ways but now much happier for having participated in the hallowed ritual.

Sadly, this tradition has begun to disintegrate. All too often, I notice cyclists performing the cyclist-to-cyclist wave discriminatorily. Fixie-riding hipsters only give super-hip waves of acknowledgment to their like-minded counterparts, spandex-clad roadies turn the cold shoulder to those lacking the form-fitting fabric, hardcore downhillers stoke only on other bombers, and so on. Fortunately, there are still a solid core of cyclists of all styles who gladly and cheerfully wave to any and all bicycle-riders, and it is precisely this equal-opportunity waving that needs to again find its way to roads, trails, and bike lanes around the bike-pedaling world!

Just recently, the decreasing frequency of the cyclist-to-cyclist wave was brought home to me in a particularly harsh manner as I found myself the guilty perpetrator failing to wave. While pedaling north on Folsom, another biker passed me heading south. We spotted each other, he waved, and before I knew what was going on, we had passed each other forever. I had failed to reciprocate his bikerly kindness. Struck by my own complicity in the deterioration of the cyclist-to-cyclist wave, I vowed to never again fail in my duties of pedal-driven positivity!

1 comment:

Tejvan Pettinger said...

I nearly always wave (except when training really hard) It's always a nice pick me up for those long rides where you seem to be surrounded mainly by cars. I wrote a few more thoughts on subject here: Cyclists strangers of friends?