Thursday, February 4, 2010

An Extra Two

I routinely scour Boulder’s Craigslist seeking the perfect bicycle trailer. My eyes have crossed the paths of several worthy candidates, but every deal has all gone pear shaped. Although I’m never one to force a purchase, as I ride the trails I’m beginning to envy trailer riders and their extra wide turns.

The free-spirit in me has always seen the trailer as liberating, an extension of the body prompting long trips and adventures. The two wheels gliding behind the bike may also serve to haul groceries, books, or other bicycles. I even once saw a fellow Fort Collins rider transplanting their uprooted garden across town via bike trailer. The trailer opens many doors and helps eliminate the excuse that you need to use a car.

The kids also love the trailer, yet I’m not sure certain parents should be allowed to zip across town rattling their babies to sleep. I’m not against the baby buggy, and I’m sure one day my tikes will be strapped inside one, but does anyone wonder about shaken baby syndrome. A casual cruise seems fine, but when parents “Lance Armstrong” with their children holding on for dear life, I begin to pray for our youth.

On the other end, my favorite local contraption goes to the devoted elderly couple who use an unconventional tandem as a means of rehabilitation therapy. The bike has five wheels, two seats, and three handle bars, a true marvel of engineering. The husband sits up front and controlling the bike while his wife, in a recliner seat, pedals to the rhythm of a fixed gear system. The bike/couple always makes me smile, and reminds us that no one ever grows too old to get out and enjoy life, especially on a bicycle.

No comments: