Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I’m going, going, back, back to Cali, Cali

Let's start crashing into elected officials.

When I left Los Angeles I swore I’d never return, well, I’m eating my words. Last week, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa suffered a near fatal bicycle accident, sounding the alarm to improve cycle-structure. Fortunately, Villaraigosa only shattered his elbow, however, the accident (caused by a car) enlightened the mayor, and may be a blessing in disguise. Villaraigosa’s response shocked L.A. residents, calling for nearly 1,600 miles of bicycle lanes and a heightened awareness for cyclists. Seems outrageous in a town known for traffic jams and air pollution?

Although I’m amped on L.A.’s goal, I remain skeptical. Let’s pray my cynicism is misplaced; L.A.’s prime cycling terrain and if some changes occur I may be going…going…back…back… to Cali…Cali.

L.A. currently trails Boulder by roughly two hundred miles of bike paths. As the second largest city in North America, they only boast three-hundred and fifty miles, yet they maintain over seven-thousand miles of automonster lanes. L.A. (with the help of G.M.) pioneered the derailment of public and sustainable transportation. For anyone who needs a history lesson, ask an old person, they love talking about the 1950’s. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa stance on infrastructure changes encourages the idealist in me, yet shall we trust a politician? Can one shattered elbow flex L.A. into a transportation revolution?

Villaraigosa set aside 3.2 million dollars for improving cycling and pedestrian lanes, but money alone won’t save L.A. We don’t just start riding bicycles because lanes exist; it takes a shift in consciousness, and further, a commitment to get over the hump. In order for cycling to work, offices must provide showers for commuters, bike shares need support, and the overall pace of life ought to slow down. These are things the mayor can’t control. He can build a field, but it doesn’t mean Kevin Costner’s will realize his dream.

I see Villaraigosa’s plan as baby steps. North America needs work, and what better city than L.A.? Cyclists need to feel safe on the roadways, our presence matters, and we demand space. New bicycle lanes, accompanied by education and a shift in consciousness may help L.A clean up their smog, but more importantly, bring me back to the Cali.

No comments: