Tuesday, August 17, 2010

THINK about the rules you follow.

Alright, I've just about had it with "traffic engineers" and auto operators and bicycle "advocates" and whomever else thinks they're SO responsible and telling me to follow traffic laws while I'm riding on the streets.

Here's how I see it. [Auto] drivers bend the rules all the time: rolling stops, not using signals, texting, talking on the phone, speeding, rolling stops, running red (they think yellowish ) lights, rolling stops, rolling stops and of course rolling stops. I have a new favorite as of this morning: NOT passing me with a 3 foot margin (that's a new Colorado state law, by the way!).

So don't honk, shout, fuss or pout at me when I roll through my stop because I'm actually powering myself with muscle not an arbitrary pushing of a gas pedal. If I blow through a stop sign at full speed, I'm going roughly as fast as the damn driver who so graciously "slows" at a stop.

And don't wave your fists at me when I take up the whole lane because I don't want my total physical safety to be at the mercy off a driver's estimation of "acceptable" passing buffer.

When a driver of a car is careless and inattentive, or aggressive and abandons the rules, their consequences are comprised of bending metal, sore neck muscles and bruised knees. Their impact to what they hit is near total destruction. Go ahead and play bumper cars with each other, but as long as I'm on the road I'm not playing that way. You can keep creeping behind me, or pick a new road.

No comments: