Tuesday, March 29, 2011

end of winter repairs

It's coming up on that time of the year when cyclists start cleaning, overhauling, and generally recovering from the harsh months of winter riding. This year, my end of winter repairs may be requiring some patches . . . but not for a tube.

Biking this winter has introduced some completely unforeseen and interesting problems for me; problems that could easily become much worse in the very near future.

I, for whatever reason, only have one pair of jeans, so this means that whenever it's cold outside, I either suck it up and wear shorts (translate, frozen shins) or I wear that lone, solitary pair of jeans. Over the course of these past winter months, I have generally opted for the jeans, but because these are my one and only pair, all the biking has really started wearing them out, and in a very uncomfortable spot.

The upper, inner thigh/crotch region of my jeans is quickly becoming threadbare. This is the part of my jeans that rubs against the bike seat on each pedal stroke of my legs. Biking in the same pair of pants every day during the winter means that this one poor, lonesome, pair of pants has experienced a lot of saddle rubbing, the results of which are some threadbare spots threatening to become all-out, gaping, drafty, and embarrassing holes any day soon.

Hopefully warmer spring temperatures will alleviate the pressure on my pants, but as I begin my own post-winter clean up and repairs, I may be needing to do some important pants patch work.

No comments: