Monday, June 14, 2010

Black Hawk Down

Say it ain't so, two steps forward and fifty steps back. That’s the latest report out of Black Hawk, Colorado, a city gung-ho on remaining behind the times. Black Hawk has become the first city in Colorado to ban the usage of bicycles. Not only did Black Hawk jump atop “my list,” they stand to feel the wrath of every Colorado bicyclist. Until the bans lifted, I insist that all bicyclist refrain from commerce inside the city of Black Hawk. No gambling, dining, shopping, or even gold mining shall take place if you identify with your two wheels.

I’m not opposed to keeping the roads safe and reducing accidents, but as stated by City Manager Mike Copp, no accidents prompted the ban, making Copp’s decision baffling. It’s comparable to closing the beaches because sharks live in the ocean. Yes, sharks exist, and cars and buses drive on the roads, so why ban bicycles just because of potential risk. If the city showed evidence for the decision I wouldn’t be opposed (well maybe), but the data simply doesn’t exist.

Black Hawk, you obviously neglect consideration for the bicycle as a legitimate vehicle. Colorado law states that bicycles have as much right to the road as a car; in fact we’re considered vehicles when we hop the curb and hit the pavement. If their concerns focus on safety, they might as well ban cars too. Last time I checked, two tons of steel causes more problems than twenty pound of aluminum.

I hope Black Hawk gets it in gear and reconsiders the ban. Bicyclist shouldn’t accept $68 dollar tickets for doing what they love. I’ve said it before; we’re not second class vehicles. We deserve our space and place on the roadways. Black Hawk made a terrible enemy today, and unless they reconsider their antics, they stand to lose business.

I’m a radical, but believe we must work together to make progress. I encourage readers to e-mail Mike Copp at MCopp@CityofBlackHawk.org and express your feelings. I informed him today that my primary form of transportation remains a bicycle, and until the bans lifted I won’t be entering Black Hawk. Remember, be respectful and composed, but let him know why he’s ruining the city of Black Hawk, one less bicycle at a time.

Join the Club at: http://dismountblackhawk.com/

No comments: