Monday, June 7, 2010

By Far One of the Worst Possession Crimes

Bike theft is one of the worst possession crimes. A friend just came out of an hour and a half meeting to find that his bike, which he built himself, was gone in broad daylight on the campus. What a terrible feeling, all the sudden you lose your mode of transportation at the same time that you lost your dear friend and steed, your bike. My bike and I have been through some rough times, I've been hit and thrown off, stuck in horrible weather, traveled down sketchy terrain and she always prevails with me. I wish we could make bike thieves understand they are stealing far more than a mere instrument. Obviously those that steal bikes are of such a low moral dignity that only a severe punishment could really deter the act. We need much harsher consequences. We also need better locks, cables are a joke. On campus they slice right through them in broad daylight without anyone suspecting foul activity. Personally I go for the master lock handcuffs, they insure my bike up to $3,000 and are indestructible. A little awkward, a little heavy, but I dare a thief try to get into them.

No comments: