Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Exposing Wisconsin

Check out my inspiration: http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/ and http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=29667

Ever hopped on the saddle in your birthday suit? I typically discourage the practice, yet an international movement, World Naked Bike Ride, melds the body and bicycle together. Naked cyclists gathered in Chicago to protest oil, support alternative energies, and work out unsightly tan lines. The protest spread to Wisconsin, where last weekends planned event turned ugly. Local police handed out disorderly conducts to peaceful bikers baring it all for what they believe.

I’m on the fence here, can’t find a side to bash. I love the idea of the bicycle rally, but what’s the need for nudity, and does it help the cause? I believe riding your bicycle daily and abstaining from cars remains the best way to protest oil, but I don’t ride to work or school naked. Nudity draws instant attention, maybe a strategy or just a fun excuse to drop the trousers and ditch the bra, which I fully support. However, do protesters muddy the already oily waters in their efforts to appear free spirited?

Wonder if we gathered in thongs to save the whales, or wore pasties to stop uranium mining, would these measures be heard louder in the flesh? I applaud the naked riders for their creative approach to civil disobedience, but perhaps their energy would be better spent calling their congressman or sending hate mail to Tony Hayward. The World Naked Bike Ride appeared in Boulder the past six years and according to their website plans to repeat. I hope Boulder police keep their minds open and their eyes averted, although nothings more beautiful than a naked body and a bicycle.

No comments: