Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Good Read (For Conspiracy Theorists): Autokind vs. Mankind

Well, so it's summertime, and summertime is good for catching up on some good reading.

A while back I read this book, Autokind vs. Mankind, by Kenneth Schneider (can't find the press information, so here's the book on Amazon), which really opened my eyes to a lot of conspiratorial views of the automobile industry. I'd already sold my car and whole-heartedly knew the benefits of a car-free lifestyle (cah-CHING!), so there wasn't much news on that front.

According to Schneider, for a little over a century now, we have been living under the strengthening tyranny of the automobile industry. This industry, originally created by a few automobile companies, now encompasses a nearly complete cultural following (I don't have to tell my car-free compatriots of the persistent counter-cultural stigma we enjoy), to the point where the moment the basic business-model of automobility was faltering, the government steps in with a multi-billion dollar fiscal bailout.

This book was damn dry at points, but after pushing through, my belief in my car-free lifestyle was reinvigorated and re-inspired. Now on to other great reads...

No comments: