Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Interview with a Non-Cyclist


Me: if you could ask any question about the cycling culture in Boulder, what would it be?

Non-cyclist: what's up with people commuting on "fixies"? I really don't get it...how are they good commuter bikes in any way?

Me:...I...don't...know...


And that's how the interview went. I really had no idea how to answer that question. I mean, how do you explain hipster style to a Boulderite non-cyclist? Why do they do anything they do? How is any part of their ride functional in any way? Number one, the pants. How can pants that tight be functional in any way for riding? Stretch pants or not...they defy the laws of physics. Friction? Never heard of it.

Let's actually look at the pants themselves...often trashed, stained, maybe some cigarette burns, wayyy too small. It would appear that the average fixie rider isn't able to buy new pants. But first glance at their fifteen-hundred dollar ride reveals the truth.

In any case, Boulder seems to me to be just too hilly to allow the fixie to cross over into the realm of the commuter. But I suppose to someone who lives the disposable, consumeristic life of a hipster, knees are just another commodity... I don't mean to be a hater, but



I bet this guy would have something to say------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJoD3YQenE

No comments: