Friday, May 27, 2011

Let the Path Take You

Greetings fellow Boulder cyclists! Summer has finally started to fight its way through the crisp spring. The spokes are beginning to turn with the seasons. The glorious days of sunshine are upon us!

It has been a long frigid winter. I can't even remember the last time I slipped on a pair of flip-flops. A sense of accomplishment and freedom lingers in the air with students finishing up another semester and a lucky few graduating. What better way to celebrate the start of summer than to cruise on through one of Boulder's many biking trails? Just the other day I was riding along the creek, and an uplifting feeling of joy put a nice bounce in my pedaling. The birds were chirping, the trees and flowers were blooming, and even the homeless seemed chipper. I decided to explore.

I've never gone out for a ride without an intended destination. The warm air and sunshine just inspired me to lose myself on the path. I found completely different parts of boulder. Secret niches and interesting geography littered the entire adventure. After wandering various paths for several hours I began to realize that I needed to eventually get home. Heading back the way I came seemed impossible because of my spontaneous route. Uneasiness began to takeover as darkness set in. I hadn't planned ahead for a night ride, so I started to worry about being seen by traffic. My eyes were peeled for anything that might be recognizable. I was about to give up hope and call a ride, until I saw the creek.

A rush of relief gave me an adrenaline boost that got me home just before dark. My seemingly unending adventure was finally over! Exploring uncharted territory was a lot of fun, but next time I think I'll use a map.

The long summer ahead will bring plenty of opportunities for more path charting. I encourage everyone to take advantage of the beautiful weather to come.

Until next time, keep those wheel's turning!
Nick Wachs

No comments: