Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wheels of Freedom

Hi there!
I thought since this is my first blog post here, I'd take a sec to introduce myself.
My name is Arielle and I am now one week buff bus free. Yay!

I live at Bear Creek apartments and for the past year, I have ridden the Buff Bus to and from class every single day. The aggravations of an inconsistent bus schedule mixed with the frequent and lengthy breaks taken at Will-Vill finally became too much to handle. I missed the convenience of having my bicycle; the autonomy it gave me, the freedom, the feeling of the wind through my hair!

Well, you may ask, why the heck didn't you ride your bike?!
There's a very simple reason for that.

The weekend before last was a monumental one for two reasons:
One of which being the fact that I finally got more than five hours of sleep.
The other, was freeing my Raleigh 24-speed bicycle from its lock at my mom's house. It had been locked up for well over a year and showed signs of rust around the axles and frame.
Every time my mom or I tried to free it, the lock proved frozen and immobile. I was afraid that between the harsh winter and extreme weather swings this year, that this bike surely would never ride again.

However, a miracle occurred!

When I tried it this time, I suppose because of the warm weather, the lock came apart easily and after a short inspection at the CU Bike Station, and some much needed air in the tires, it was perfectly rideable again!

Now with these beautiful spring days on the horizon, the opportunities for riding my bike to and from CU are plentiful. Now I can not only have have a healthy cardio workout to start my days, but be able to see the splendor of spring without the separation of the bus glass window.
THANK YOU BICYCLES!!! :)

No comments: