Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mission: Beat That Bus!

Maymester at CU has been a true eye-opener for me. Normally I would say that being forced to get to school without the luxury of the bus system is just a huge pain. But I have to say, there are some MAJOR perks to having your own private mode of transportation that allows you to skip traffic lights and cut right through campus.

I never realized the true advantage of having a bike until I actually BEAT the Buff Bus to my destination by a good 5 minutes.

A few weeks back, I was still trying and failing miserably to find the fastest and most direct path to school from my apartment. I was almost late to three classes and nearly killed myself when I had to stop short at a ditch that followed a very shallow turn on the path near Kittredge. Now after all my wanderings I’ve finally found my route.

Well, technically it’s TWO separate routes; one for the ride to school, and one for the ride home. The route I take to school is a bit longer, but the hill climb is not very steep at all and takes me along Baseline then Broadway. It’s perfect for a groggy morning after an all-night study session.

This is the route I took that left the bus in the dust.

If you get enough speed at the start of Baseline, you can FLY up those hills, not to mention the fact that you don’t have to wait for those traffic lights!

The route home is a LOT more simple and is almost ALL downhill (WEEEE!!!). I just cut straight through Kittredge and catch the tunnel under 36 that leads to the bike path.

I can’t wait until the regular school year again so I can try and beat my previous record! ^_^

2 comments:

blazingboykin said...

I once beat the Buff Bus using the same route the bus did. It was a good day. When I lived in WillVill I'd take the same route but turn at Frontage and then turn left at Aurora, but I guess it depends where you are going.

Arielle said...

Yes! That's a wonderful route too! Until I get more in shape, the Aurora route is a little tough in the mornings with the steep hills (or what I like to call steep at any rate) ^_^